Information about booking during COVID-19
IR Inspections for Weatherization Professionals is a 14 hour theory and application course for the use of thermal imaging as a diagnostic tool for use in the weatherization of building envelopes. This is a non-certification course focused on the use of a thermal imager to inspect building envelopes and building subsystems. Course completion may be applied to training requirements for thermographer certification.
Course provides in-depth and practical instruction for thermographically detecting hidden problems in building sidewalls, roofs, HVAC ducts, and related building subsystems. Course attendance may be applied to training requirements for thermographer certification through Infraspection Institute and the InterNational Association of Certified Home Inspectors.
This course covers infrared theory, heat transfer concepts, equipment operation and selection, using a thermal imager in conjunction with a blower door, standards compliance, image analysis, tools for confirming infrared data, and report generation.
Students are trained to identify and document thermal patterns caused by improper design, workmanship, or material failure. Self-directed learning activities are provided to help students gain practical experience; however, one need not have a camera to successfully complete the course. Course tuition includes 24-hour access to all online course presentations, Student Reference Manual, online quizzes, proof of course completion, and free ground shipping of course materials. Students must complete training within 60 days of registration.
The course qualifies for 14 hours of continuing education by the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors and meets the training requirements for their Infrared Certified professional designation and logo.
1. Course Overview
• Learning objectives
• Course terminology
• Weatherization defined
• Verification of weatherization retrofit work practices
2. Basic Infrared Theory and Heat Transfer
• Heat transfer
• Conduction, convection, and radiation
– variables affecting rate of heat transfer
• Conductors and insulators
• Electromagnetic spectrum
• Discovery of the infrared spectrum
• Emittance, reflectance, and transmittance
• Atmospheric transmission
• IR wavebands, imaging systems, and lens materials
3. Infrared Equipment
• Selection criteria
• Range and level settings
• Image and data recording
• Self-directed learning activities for hands-on use
4. Infrared Building Inspections
• Theory and component construction
• Applications of thermal imaging for weatherization
– initial building condition assessment, project monitoring, final inspection
• Insulation and material characteristics
• Building energy loss
– conduction and convection
• Air leakage
– air infiltration and exfiltration
• Inspection techniques
– interior / exterior
• Weather variables and influences
• Error sources
– wind, solar loading, surface moisture, building construction, building contents
• Required site conditions
– creating sufficient Delta T
• Thermal signatures
– missing and damaged insulation
– air leakage
– thermal bypasses
– latent moisture
– pest damage
• Building Science
• Mold detection
• Inspection of building subsystems
• Verification of data
• Verification tools
• Data recording
• With IPI Learning’s Distance Learning, you get the same quality course content for which we are famous.
• We utilize state-of-the-art web servers and dynamic multimedia resources to provide a unique, quality educational experience.
• All courses are taught by Infraspection Institute Level 3 Certified InfraredThermographers®, each having over 20 years of professional experience.
• Infraspection Institute’s Distance Learning Courses are divided into narrated one-hour online infrared lecture training units allowing you to work at a pace that’s convenient for you.
• Each course unit is designed to build upon the previous units of the course. You may return to individual online course units at any time for review.
What do I receive for this training?
You will receive 24 hours a day access to the online training modules and quizzes for each course unit, a student reference manual, instructions for self-directed field assignments, proof of course completion, and free shipping of course materials. Infraspection Institute’s Distance Learning courses are divided into narrated one-hour units allowing you to work at a pace that’s convenient for you. Each course unit is designed to build upon the previous units of the course. You may return to individual course units at any time for review.
When can I get started?
Within 2 business days of registering you will receive a welcome email explaining how to access the online portion of your training. You can access this straight away however we recommend waiting until you receive your course materials to start the training.
When will my course materials arrive?
This depends on your location, but you should receive your course materials within approximately 7-14 days of registration.
Is there someone I can contact if I have any questions during my training?
Yes. One of our Level 3 Instructors will be available by phone or email to help with any questions you might have about your training. Phone support is available during regular business hours and we will endeavour to respond to your emails within 1-2 business days.
How long do I have to complete my training?
You will have 60 days to complete your selected course. The date of completion will be emailed to you at the start of your training.
What do I receive at the end of the course?
All Distance Learning students will receive a Certificate of Completion at the end of their training. Students who have undertaken a Level 1 or Level 2 Certified Infrared Thermographer Distance Learning course and who go on to successfully complete the exam will also receive a certificate showing their certification number.
PLEASE NOTE: FREIGHT CHARGES APPLY FOR SHIPMENT OF MATERIALS FOR THOSE LOCATED OUTSIDE THE USA OR AUSTRALIA.